Thursday, September 10, 2009

connecting to Nortel 5550 or 4550 switch to manage

Just got done spending a bunch of time trying to get connected to some of my Nortel ethernet switches. Since the learning curve is fresh in my brain, I thought I share it for others to find. (Lord knows, I get a lot of trival info from the web).

If no management IP address has been established for the switches yet, then the first step is to connect via a 9-pin console cable. I believe this is a PROPRIETARY cable. I tried using a regular 9-pin serial cable to no avail. Later, I bought a cable that was said to be specifically for this purpose. Sorry, I don't have the pinout. But, I do have the part #! :-)

If I'm wrong about not being able to use a straight serial cable, please leave me a comment so I can add the correction here.

The part # for the special Nortel cable I got is AL2011013-E6 02 SC111108.

Anyway, if/when you get the special cable, or it's equivalent, and you're all connected... establish a serial connection at 9600 8N1. Then hit "ENTER" a few times. If you see nothing, which is likely. Do a "CTRL+Y".. that should pop-up the welcome screen. Or, it may prompt you to enter an IN-BAND management IP address.

You are now connected. I will not go into the minutia of setting up a management IP address in this post.

4 comments:

  1. nope, it's "straight" DB9 Female to DB9 Male cable.
    Usual DCE-DTE cable.
    old modem cable should work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phone system quote Los Angeles provides their best services in business. It is playing the key role in business and also connected us with our customers. These phones are suitable in small as well as in large companies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these articular with us regarding business phone system. I got a lot of knowledge from this article. Keep posting like this useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IMPRESSED WITH SUCH A GOOD CONTENT!!
    VERY INTERESTING
    GREAT WORK
    best telephone system for office in dubai

    ReplyDelete